Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jack's week


Jack went to the pediatric cardiologist last Monday, November 2. He weighed in at a whopping 27 lbs. (with his clothes and sneakers on). Then came the hard parts. First, the EKG. Shirt off and sitting in my lap on the edge of the exam table--no tears at that point. When the doctor came in, it was time for The Ultasound. Jack did not WANT an ultrasound. He did NOT like laying on his back AT ALL. I have to admit that it was rather funny, though. Face beet-red, he screamed continuously, "No, thank you! No, thank you!" I must have the most polite toddler in the entire state, if not the nation! What an actor. The doctor told me that he thinks Jack's VSD has gotten smaller (woo hoo!), and he will see him again in a year. Great news!...Fast forward to this past Saturday...more tears. This time, it was all about The Haircut--only the second haircut since coming home one year ago. Even a lollipop didn't help. He now looks like such a little boy. Where did my baby go?...And yesterday, I had to leave work and pick Jack up from daycare because he was sick (high temp, throwing up--the whole nine yards). He had a rough Monday night and sounds worse this morning, so we will stay home today. I waited more than TWO HOURS for the pediatrician's office to call me back yesterday morning (they can't be that busy, can they?), and when they finally did return my call they told me to keep him home and treat him for the flu. I worry because of his heart condition, so I will watch him closely today. We'll stay home and take it easy--having Veteran's Day off as well will help, I think. It's so hard when little ones are sick, isn't it?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Poor Jack! I hope that his week improves quickly. Evan hates getting haircuts too. He needs a third haircut soon, and I've only had him for three months!

Anonymous said...

Deb and Jack:Happy 1yr forever family day tomorrow. We will be thinking of the both of you. Hope Jack is feeling better.
Laurie and Claire Grace