At 5:30 am, we left the White Swan, along with Rick/Denice/Thomas/Gemma and the Huangs/Ada. Our little bus was filled to overflowing with us and our luggage. It was still dark. All of us were so ready to come home. It was a quick flight to Hong Kong—beautiful brand new airport, beautiful view of the mountains surrounding HK. Our flight home was long but made easier by the fact that Elizabeth, Auntie and I sat in the middle of the plane, with five seats in a row all to ourselves. Elizabeth was SO good—she never cried. Elizabeth played with her stacking cups, listened to the movie with headphones, slept a little, ate, and drank her bottles. I talked with another new mother whose baby girl was the same age as but was bigger than Elizabeth while we walked our girls up and down the aisle. In Chicago, we had to say goodbye to Auntie—that was hard—but all of us were anxious to get home. In our haste to say goodbye and catch our connecting flights, Auntie left with Elizabeth’s pink cotton blanket (would you believe, she mailed it to us almost immediately after arriving home in Texas—what a wonderful Auntie!). Before boarding our flight to Portland, I changed Elizabeth into her “coming home” outfit: maroon corduroy dress, white tights, and squeaky shoes. She couldn’t have been more adorable!
Well, the best-laid plans and all that…Shortly after boarding the plane, but before we’d even taxied out onto the runway…diarrhea, through her tights and even onto my jeans as well. I had to wait until we were airborne to change her. We probably weren't too popular on that flight. Consequently, when we arrived in Portland at around 5 p.m., Elizabeth was bare-legged and shoeless (but nonetheless absolutely adorable!). So many people met us at the airport—what a wonderful surprise! My niece and nephew had even made (with their Dad’s help) a Welcome Home poster for Elizabeth. I was so very tired and sick with a sinus infection at that point, so much of our arrival remains a blur to me. We were last off the plane. The flight crew helped me maneuver down the aisle and off the plane. Due to being so sleep-deprived and not feeling well, instead of going through the revolving door and out to meet everyone waiting for us, I walked past the revolving door, pushing Elizabeth in her stroller, and continued quite a ways through the airport before I’d realized what I’d done. I think I confused everyone who saw me through the glass windows—where’s she going? I was so happy to be home and so excited to show everyone my beautiful new daughter! We collected our luggage and then headed home. I sat in the back with Elizabeth, and she didn’t protest a bit about sitting in her carseat for the first time. Once home, Dad and Elizabeth opened presents—Dad had celebrated his birthday while we were in China. One of Elizabeth’s gifts from her Auntie Sue was a stuffed pink-and-white cat, which she absolutely LOVES—my cat-loving sister’s attempt to influence my daughter, I think, knowing how much I love dogs!—and now Elizabeth won’t go anywhere without her Kiki! And it was so good to see Baxter! And best of all, Elizabeth was not the least bit frightened of him, even when he barked. What a huge relief! I also learned that Mom and Dad didn’t exactly have a relaxing day before going to the airport to meet us—apparently, the pump to my well broke that morning, so they scrambled to find a plumber to come to fix it before they had to leave for the airport at 4 pm. They did, and he finished up just as they were leaving. What a day for them. What wonderful parents I have!
Well, the best-laid plans and all that…Shortly after boarding the plane, but before we’d even taxied out onto the runway…diarrhea, through her tights and even onto my jeans as well. I had to wait until we were airborne to change her. We probably weren't too popular on that flight. Consequently, when we arrived in Portland at around 5 p.m., Elizabeth was bare-legged and shoeless (but nonetheless absolutely adorable!). So many people met us at the airport—what a wonderful surprise! My niece and nephew had even made (with their Dad’s help) a Welcome Home poster for Elizabeth. I was so very tired and sick with a sinus infection at that point, so much of our arrival remains a blur to me. We were last off the plane. The flight crew helped me maneuver down the aisle and off the plane. Due to being so sleep-deprived and not feeling well, instead of going through the revolving door and out to meet everyone waiting for us, I walked past the revolving door, pushing Elizabeth in her stroller, and continued quite a ways through the airport before I’d realized what I’d done. I think I confused everyone who saw me through the glass windows—where’s she going? I was so happy to be home and so excited to show everyone my beautiful new daughter! We collected our luggage and then headed home. I sat in the back with Elizabeth, and she didn’t protest a bit about sitting in her carseat for the first time. Once home, Dad and Elizabeth opened presents—Dad had celebrated his birthday while we were in China. One of Elizabeth’s gifts from her Auntie Sue was a stuffed pink-and-white cat, which she absolutely LOVES—my cat-loving sister’s attempt to influence my daughter, I think, knowing how much I love dogs!—and now Elizabeth won’t go anywhere without her Kiki! And it was so good to see Baxter! And best of all, Elizabeth was not the least bit frightened of him, even when he barked. What a huge relief! I also learned that Mom and Dad didn’t exactly have a relaxing day before going to the airport to meet us—apparently, the pump to my well broke that morning, so they scrambled to find a plumber to come to fix it before they had to leave for the airport at 4 pm. They did, and he finished up just as they were leaving. What a day for them. What wonderful parents I have!
















No comments:
Post a Comment