
My approval to adopt an orphan overseas (my I-171 H) was going to expire in a little over a month, my fingerprints had already expired, and I'd already taken the afternoon off to take Elizabeth to the pediatrician's office for her second flu shot, so after her shot, we walked into the USCIS office in South Portland, Maine, today with no appointment and no waiting, handed in my letter requesting a no-charge one-time fee waiver, a copy of my current I-171 H, and the homestudy update, was fingerprinted (the Man even let Elizabeth do her fingerprints and see them appear on the computer screen--she was all smiles!), and was sent on our way! (I was given back the I-600 A application I'd filled out as well as another copy of my birth certificate that I'd brought--apparently, they didn't need them again, as I'd provided it all the first time). It really was as easy as that--I was floored...fingers crossed for a referral within 18 months!!! (The homestudy is valid for one year and must be valid at the time I receive my referral; fingerprints are valid for 15 months, the I-171 H for 18 months, and both must be valid for the entire trip to China to bring the baby home. This becomes an expensive process: the homestudy update is a little over $200, the fingerprints are $80, and the I-600 A/I-171 H is $670. This time, the fingerprints and I-600 A/new I-171 H were free, but they won't be the next time, so I really hope this time was the last time I have to do all this--I don't want to do this all over again...!).
1 comment:
From another waiting parent -- fingerprints crossed with you!!
Post a Comment