Yup. That's why I've felt so lousy for the last four weeks. I finally went to the doctor yesterday. It was confirmed with an x-ray today. This blog is rapidly deteriorating into a medical journal!
As for Jack, he went to the pediatric cardiologist on Monday. He had an EKG and an ultrasound done in the office. The doctor told me that he is very healthy. The VSD is there but is quite small. It won't get bigger and it won't get smaller--we'll just have to keep an eye on it. He will go back again in nine months!
He went to the pediatric surgeon last month about being circumcised. Perhaps this is TMI (too much information), but I learned that this is an elective surgery and therefore not covered by most insurance policies. I have to check on my policy to see if it is covered, and then I will make a decision as to whether it will be done.
Jack also was examined by the cleft lip/palate team at the hospital. The geneticist examined Jack and suggested that he be tested for chromosonal abnormalities. Huh? She said a couple things concerned her (maybe concern is too strong a term...): his ears are "cupped," as she put it, instead of lying flat against the side of his head; and he has one strong line or crease going straight across the palm of his hand, instead of two or three lines that go diagonally across the palm of his hand. These two observations, and the fact that he had two "birth defects (I would have preferred it if she had said "special needs..."), caused her to suggest that he be tested. No idea what the results of that are at this time. I will try to update this entry with photos of his "abnormalities" in a bit. I did notice the other night that Elizabeth has the same strong line going straight across the palms of her hands, so I kinda think this woman had no clue...
Jack also saw the plastic surgeon. She said that the Chinese doctors did an absolutely wonderful job in repairing his cleft lip and that she would recommend doing nothing at all at this time. As he grows and as his face changes, he might want a little reconstruction (nip/tuck) at the base of his nose, but she suspects that even that won't be necessary. She did ask me for any "before" photos that I might have. I told her that the only one I had was the one from his finding ad but that I would be happy to make her a copy. Note: still have to do that...
Those are the medical highlights right now. I will post more frequently when I feel more like myself!
5 comments:
Not that you asked for opinions but if your insurance won't cover the circumcision and you want it done, you may be able to "combine" it when he has another surgery for his cl/cp. I know someone who a covered procedure and was able to only pay the difference for the uncovered one (like she paid for 1/3 anestestia )
Deb,
Hope that things are looking up for you soon!
If it's any consolation, my girls have all been sick (me too) and we keep passing it back and forth for the mast 3 or 4 weeks. I now know what it means to truly be sick and tired!
Deborah
Sorry the pneumonia has you...
Good news about Jack's heart and the great surgery done his cleft. I'm thinking the ped specialist is clueless... hope there are no worries there.
Hope things get more healthy in the coming weeks.
Get yourself the pnuemovax vaccine when you are over the pnuemonia...it saved me! Moms just don't need to be sick every winter!
Your doc is right...the one line across the palm is called a "simian crease" (one of my kids has this too) and it can be related to genetic abnormalities...but also can be unrelated. I wouldn't sweat over it.
Hang in there,
Amy
Oh Deb! Hang in there, sending prayers your way! I had bronchitis for a week and was just miserable, I can't imagine being a single mommy and being sick. You are amazing!
I'm glad to hear Jack's cardiologist appointment went well and that the cleft doctors liked the look of his lip. I wonder if he & Isaac had the same doctor team in China, because our doctor said the same thing.
We're looking into the circumcision as well and trying to decide what to do. Good luck with your decisions.
Praying things go well with Jack and the other testing. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Hugs to you! I hope that you're back to full health quickly!
Post a Comment