Monday, August 24, 2009

we're back!


these first two pictures (above) were taken at the end of the day at Storyland; we took two strollers and were glad we did because we used them both (too bad there were none for Papa and Nanny...)

Elizabeth's favorite ride at Storyland: the turtle






with Nanny

"I don't like the spider!"


Jack loved driving the car!

with Papa

Elizabeth and Mama



Jack's cool new shirt




Bald Mountain in the background

best friends

I thought this was a bear print, but now I'm not sure--this animal has claws. Could it be a coyote? or maybe one of my dogs? It was a pretty big paw print--bigger than a dog's. Guesses, anyone?

Baxter

eating ice cream


Jack simply adores his big sister--can you tell?

such a sweet boy!

Small's Falls in the background







from spending a week at Mooselookmeguntic Lake, where my parents live. The kids and I had a terrific time--we went to Storyland in Glen, NH, one day; ate ice cream and fed the ducks at the Pine Tree Frosty in Rangeley twice; threw rocks in the water at Small's Falls; and played on the beach and in the lake the rest of the time. We also went canoeing--Elizabeth got to paddle, too. Jack sat very still while we were on the water (as if he was velcroed to the bottom of the canoe) (what a good boy!). Elizabeth and I walked along the beach one morning and saw tracks in the sand. I'm pretty sure they were bear tracks--very cool. We saw ducks and loons, as well as moose, deer, and a fox while we were there. I got to take lots of naps (thanks, Mom!) and to read uninterrupted (what a treat!). It's good to be home, though.
*
I left work early today to take Elizabeth to the pediatrician. More on that in a minute. As I got in my minivan in the parking garage (mind you, I was parked on the 4th floor), I happened to look over at the SUV parked next to me and saw, of all things, a gray squirrel running around inside it on the dashboard. He had an empty paper muffin cup in his mouth. I've never seen anything like it. As I watched, the squirrel climbed out of the window, which was cracked a bit, onto the hood, and ran away. He must've jumped in the car when it was parked elsewhere. Can you imagine what the driver would have done if he'd appeared while s/he was actually driving?...Back to Elizabeth now: she has strep! She had a fever when we came back from Boston last week, which I'd attributed to too much sun at the zoo since it was in the mid 90s while we were there. The fever was a 24-hour thing. She never had a sore throat. A few days later, the skin on her fingers and on the palms of her hands began to peel away (it looked like dried Elmer's glue does when it dries on your fingers). Underneath, the skin looks red and painful, but she says that it doesn't hurt nor does it itch, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything serious. Now her toes have begun to peel in the same way. The doctor did a throat culture, looked at her hands and feet, and said that Elizabeth has/had strep. She was prescribed amoxicillin, just as a precaution, which we picked up on the way home. Thank goodness, it was nothing more serious...
*
Enjoy the (many) photos!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Deb, Great pictures! What beautiful children. The bear print is so cool. I wish I were a kid in your family. Hope Elizabeth feels better. Julia

3peas1pod said...

Hope Elizabeth is doing better. Looks like you had a great time with your mom and dad. I really like the B & W photos.