Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I am so sad...


I saw this article today: the Lake View Hotel in Nanchang--the place where I held Elizabeth for the very first time--is now gone. I have great memories of playing on the playground in back of the hotel and of walking around the lake as well. The rooms formed the outer part of a circle, and standing outside of the rooms one could look straight down to the atrium. It was a very nice hotel...I'm so sad that I won't be able to take Elizabeth back to the place where we first met.
22-Floor Hotel in Nanchang Demolished 2010-02-08
"A 22-floor hotel in Nanchang, capital city of eastern China's Jiangxi Province, was demolished Saturday afternoon (6 February 2010) only 13 years after it was built, the China News Service reported.
The four-star hotel, which sits on a lake islet, had been running prosperously since its opening but was put out of service in 2007 after a change of ownership. Since then, the hotel had been discarded, allegedly awaiting renovations that never materialized.
The 85.7-meter-tall reinforced concrete structure was demolished in only eight minutes. However, an architecture expert has pointed out the demolition once again demonstrated the lack of forward-looking planning on the part of the developers.
Pan Yang, dean of the School of Civil Engineering and Architecture Departments with the East China Jiaotong University, noted that the demolition caused both a huge waste of social wealth and lasting hazards to the environment because the building's rubble may never be broken down in the soil.
The new developer of the estate, the Kaimei Group, planned to build a 25-floor five-star hotel on the site, the report said. The group, which took over the Lake View Hotel in Nanchang, had said that they believed the existing structure was unfit to be renovated for a five-star hotel. The developer also did not give a time-table on when the new hotel will be built."

1 comment:

3peas1pod said...

Wow! That is sad. Those first moments and days with our children are so precious and somehow seem just like yesterday.