Thursday, August 11, 2011

another odds and ends post

Have to mention that I signed Jack up for Kiddie Kickers yesterday (that's soccer for 4-year olds).  He starts in September--hard to say who's more excited about it, him or me.  I'm finally going to be a Soccer Mom!

And, before I forget, I have to write a bit about our (not so new) fish.  Jack's daycare provider gave Jack a beta fish (after checking with me first) for his 4th birthday on May 10th.  Jack had a hard time choosing its name.  You see, he really wanted a hamster.  (Me?  Not so much).  He's liked hamsters ever since he watched the Disney movie, Bolt, for the first time.  There's an adorable hamster in that movie who has a great line that Jack loves to repeat:  "Yeah, you better run!"  The hamster's name is Rhino.  So...what did Jack finally name his beta fish?  Rhino Blue Fish.  Somehow, it works.

Elizabeth got her first beta fish from Santa when she was two who she named Cock-a-Doodle-Doo.  He lived for about 2 1/2 years before going belly-up.  Well, when Jack got Rhino Blue Fish, Elizabeth wanted another beta fish.  Against my better judgment, I gave in, and she and I headed to the store.  She spent considerable time choosing just the right one.  We had a little more shopping to do before checking out, so she carried the fish around the store, and the inevitable happened:  she dropped the plastic cup containing the fish, and the cup cracked and began leaking water.  We raced back to the fish department with me holding the cracked cup at an angle to preserve what little water was still left in it.  The poor fish was on its side, barely covered with water, by the time we were able to get it into its new container.  Once home, Elizabeth named her fish, Violet.  We like to say she's one tough fish.

No comments: