Wednesday, September 2, 2009

first day of school!





Elizabeth started kindergarten this morning! We arrived shortly before the bell rang. I recognized one of the other parents outside almost immediately--her daughter, Anna, was in Chinese school with Elizabeth. Amazing! in a kindergarten class of ten students, two are little girls adopted from China! When the bell rang, we (parents and students) lined up (I use that term rather loosely) and then walked inside and downstairs to the lunchroom. Elizabeth took off her jacket and I hung it and her backpack on a hook on the wall. At that point, she became very emotional. She clutched her blanket and begged me to stay "for a little while." Then the tears started to roll down her cheeks...I got all teary as well. I so hate to see her sad or upset or scared. I gave her a kiss in the palm of her hand and curled her fingers around it, just like in The Kissing Hand, but that didn't really help very much. I told her teacher, Mrs. Curry, that I was leaving, and Mrs. Curry took Elizabeth by the hand and led her in the opposite direction and up the stairs. I pick her up at 3:05 p.m. this afternoon...

She looks absolutely adorable in her school uniform, don't you think?

1 comment:

Julia said...

Wow! That was fast. Enjoy it, Deb. Time speeds by way too quickly. My oldest is starting his senior year of high school today! Julia