Today, we visited the orphanage where Jack lived after he was found. Originally, I was to go there alone, but last night XiXi called and asked if I would agree to allow another family using a different adoption agency whose daughter came from Dongguan City to join me. I'm so glad that I said yes! We had a great day, going to the orphanage itself, then stopping at Jack's finding spot (very close to the orphanage itself across the street from the power station), then on to Humen (another section of Dongguan City) to see the other family's daughter's finding spot. We bought McDonald's take-out and ate on the drive back to Guangzhou. We met up again this evening and had dinner at Lucy's. We will see each other again tomorrow--it's a free day for me--after they take their daughter to her medical appointment and do some paperwork for the consulate appointment. As for Jack, he is a mellow little guy! He slept most of the time that we were in the van. When he was awake, he just sat still and took it all in, looking out the window, interested in everything--no fussing and no tears. He tasted his first french fry today. And I'm seeing more and more smiles now, and he loves to be teased, just like his jie jie! Oh, and when we got back to the hotel this evening, I found a Coming Home Barbie on the bed. For those of you who didn't know this, the White Swan Hotel (where we are staying) has a playroom on the first floor, sponsored by Mattel and stocked with Mattel toys, for familes who stay here to use. (The U.S. Consulate once was located across the street from the White Swan Hotel, so at one time nearly every American family stayed at the hotel. Now, the U.S. Consulate is located about 45 minutes away from the hotel, so many families now choose to stay elsewhere). Every adopted child who stays at the White Swan receives a Coming Home Barbie before he or she leaves. (Coming Home Barbie is a blonde Barbie doll, holding an Asian baby in her arms). We will go to the playroom tomorrow morning--I think Jack will love all the noisy toys! And, finally, check out how I've had to roll up his pants legs and how his clothes just hang on him. I only brought size 18 months clothes. They'll just have to do until we go home...
"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief
Friday, November 14, 2008
Dongguan City CWI
Today, we visited the orphanage where Jack lived after he was found. Originally, I was to go there alone, but last night XiXi called and asked if I would agree to allow another family using a different adoption agency whose daughter came from Dongguan City to join me. I'm so glad that I said yes! We had a great day, going to the orphanage itself, then stopping at Jack's finding spot (very close to the orphanage itself across the street from the power station), then on to Humen (another section of Dongguan City) to see the other family's daughter's finding spot. We bought McDonald's take-out and ate on the drive back to Guangzhou. We met up again this evening and had dinner at Lucy's. We will see each other again tomorrow--it's a free day for me--after they take their daughter to her medical appointment and do some paperwork for the consulate appointment. As for Jack, he is a mellow little guy! He slept most of the time that we were in the van. When he was awake, he just sat still and took it all in, looking out the window, interested in everything--no fussing and no tears. He tasted his first french fry today. And I'm seeing more and more smiles now, and he loves to be teased, just like his jie jie! Oh, and when we got back to the hotel this evening, I found a Coming Home Barbie on the bed. For those of you who didn't know this, the White Swan Hotel (where we are staying) has a playroom on the first floor, sponsored by Mattel and stocked with Mattel toys, for familes who stay here to use. (The U.S. Consulate once was located across the street from the White Swan Hotel, so at one time nearly every American family stayed at the hotel. Now, the U.S. Consulate is located about 45 minutes away from the hotel, so many families now choose to stay elsewhere). Every adopted child who stays at the White Swan receives a Coming Home Barbie before he or she leaves. (Coming Home Barbie is a blonde Barbie doll, holding an Asian baby in her arms). We will go to the playroom tomorrow morning--I think Jack will love all the noisy toys! And, finally, check out how I've had to roll up his pants legs and how his clothes just hang on him. I only brought size 18 months clothes. They'll just have to do until we go home...
1 comment:
Oh my God!
He is beautiful!. Every day more and more
Hugs from Madrid (Spain)
Eli
Post a Comment