
Today (Wednesday, November 19), was the day that Jack and Claire went for a brief medical exam. This is required by the U.S. in order to complete their immigration paperwork. So, off we went! I really cannot say that Jack enjoyed himself very much--it actually was the first time that he cried. I can't really blame him--the worst part for him was when the doctor checked out his privates--must've been a little too "up close and personal" for him. First, he was weighed and measured--I think he is 21 pounds. Then, they took his temp (under his arm). Next, he was seen by the ENT doctor. I asked her to look closely inside his mouth because I suspected that he might have an unrepaired cleft palate (when I look inside his mouth, it looks as if he has a CP; and when he eats, food--yogurt, watermelon juice--sometimes comes out of his nose). She tried to look inside his mouth, but he struggled and cried, so we moved to another room with better lighting. Eventually, she said he did NOT have CP. What a HUGE relief! I dunno, though--when I look in his mouth, it looks as if the roof of his mouth is caved-in. I guess I'll have lots of questions for his doctors when I get home...After the ENT doctor, he saw another doctor who checked him all over. The last doctor to examine him listened to his heart. He said he could hear his VSD and that his heart was working harder because of his bronchitis(!) (I thought he had a cold). So, I started him on amoxicillin today which I'd brought from home, as well as applying salve to his eyes--he's got conjunctivitis. We picked up that medicine at the pharmacy after the medical exam. Laurie and I did a little shopping, and then we (Jack and I, Laurie and Claire, the Valenti family, and Greg and Caprice and their daughters) ate dinner tonight at La Dolce Vita. The restaurant was crowded, so we ended up in a private room upstairs, which was pretty cool. After dinner, Laurie and I stopped at Starbucks and I had a Caramel Macchiato--so, so good!--and then we went back to play at the Swan Room. Laurie and Claire went upstairs, and Jack and I socialized a little bit more with Greg, Caprice, and the girls. They go home tomorrow--I will miss them a lot. I really, really hope that we stay in touch. As for Jack, he becomes more sociable every day--he laughs and giggles and "talks" babytalk a lot. He is a HUGE mimic, too. We play this little game where he looks up at the ceiling and then back down at me and then I do the same--he and I play this game over and over again--he doesn't tire of it. He also will shake his head back and forth vigorously and then stop and look at me. Then, I do the same. He does it again. I do, too. Over and over...He purses his lips or smacks his lips and then waits for me to do it, too. You get the idea...He loves to be out and about in his stroller. He knows and uses the sign for "more" (as in, more formula or more food). I'm totally in love--can you tell?!
4 comments:
HEY!
What's up introducing him to another girl before S can lay claim?
LOL
AW
Susu hated the medical appointment too last year. We had our first non crying doctor visit this week at her eye doctor appointment.
Amy
Deb, I don't wish S on any little boy! Tonight she said, "That's not a boy. That's Jack!" I love the connection these two have and I hope that they get along. I was hoping that they'd feel more like brother and sister. AW should know me enough by now to know that marriage isn't exactly a high priority on my wish list for S (or anyone else).
Glad to see an update here. You just returned from the number one place I want to visit. My favorite pic is of Jack with his very first pair of squeaky shoes.
We are looking forward to your coming home with Jack. Contact us when you are ready for visitors, okay?
Love,
Karen
Wow, you brought back strong memories of the doctor's appointment we had just more than a month ago. Jake did pretty good, but the tears started when he was being weighed, of all things. Looks like you guys had a great time.
Congratulations!
Post a Comment