
We had some unexpected news when we woke up this morning: the other mom in our group of three was admitted to the hospital late last night, so Laurie and I watched her daughter for her and her husband today here at the hotel. My normally mellow Jack had a bit of a meltdown when I held Carolina--he didn't like it
at all. That suprised me (and made me laugh!). We spent quite a bit of the morning in the Swan Room (the playroom in the hotel) with Jack, Claire, and Carolina. Jack had a really good time practicing walking backwards, of all things. At around noon, I took Jack and Carolina up to my room for a little nap--she slept in the crib, and Jack played on the bed and the floor. At one point, though, he disappeared. I quickly found him in the bathroom, staring down into the toilet with a big grin. He had thrown one of his sneakers and one of his brand-new brown squeaky shoes into the toilet! I am
in trouble! (Elizabeth never did things like this--is it a boy thing?). XiXi called and said that all went well at our Consulate appointment this morning and that she wanted us to meet her at 2:30 pm to go to the U.S. Consulate for the oath. Originally, we were supposed to go to the Consulate for the oath tomorrow. This actually was much more convenient--it frees up our last day in Guangzhou to do whatever we want. So, at 3 pm, we boarded the bus with (50?) other families for the 45 minute ride to the U.S. Consulate. Everything looked the same as when I went there with Elizabeth, almost exactly three years earlier. The U.S, Consulate is located on one floor in a large modern office building. We all filed into a large room with rows of plastic seats facing Consulate employees at a long counter behind glass. After a few minutes, XiXi handed each of us photocopies of the picture page from our passport and from our baby's pasport. Then, all the parents lined up with our children and, one by one, handed the man behind the glass our photocopies. He then compared our photos to each of us, said "thank you," and we were done. Jack actually slept through this part--I had to turn to the side so that the guy could see his face! Once everyone had done this and sat down again, another Consulate employee came out to briefly address the group. He then administered the oath, which simply was this: we swore that all of the information provided in the paperwork we had submitted to the U.S. Consulate as part of our child's adoption was true and correct. I actually got a little bit teary (but it doesn't take much to make me cry...). XiXi handed us a sealed brown envelope which contains original immigration documents that we must handcarry and give to immigration officials when we first arrive at the airport in the U.S. We then boarded the bus again and drove back to the hotel. Laurie and I had dinner with Jack and Claire at Lucy's and then did a little shopping. I bought a cute pair of Chinese pajamas for Jack: they are royal blue with a gold dragon on the top and gold cuffs on the sleeves and pants legs. Pictures tomorrow. While buying them, Jack reached into my backpack and pulled out his glass baby bottle and promptly dropped it on the foor. It broke (of course). I will look for another one tomorrow. Jack fell asleep on the short walk back to the hotel and didn't wake up when I put him in the crib. He is a solid sleeper, thank goodness! Tomorrow, Jack and I will shop a little bit more and will take lots of pictures. I also need to pack!
Jack and I will leave very early on Saturday morning. I am incredibly sad to leave China, the place where my children were born, but I am more excited to come home, to hug Elizabeth, and to introduce Jack to his big sister and to his grandparents. I cannot wait!
2 comments:
You have had quite a day, and quite a trip! Thank you for sharing pictures and stories, it makes it seem a bit more real. He is such a doll and I am sure Elizabeth will be thrilled!
Would love to meet your newest member sometime. Safe travels home,
Linda (Chinabound07)
Have a safe trip home. Jack is all boy, that's for sure! And what a doll!!!!
Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith=Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan
Post a Comment